Yeovil Town 2-1 Plymouth Argyle: Match Report

Embed from Getty Images

Share this Post

Plymouth Argyle dropped out of the Checkatrade Trophy on Tuesday night after Yeovil Town came from behind to beat The Pilgrims 2-1. Sam Surridge volleyed home the winning goal in the 88th minute to send The Glovers through as Southern Group D winners.

Returning striker Ryan Taylor had earlier put Argyle ahead as his left footed strike beat Town ‘keeper Artur Krysiak. Tom James equalised for Yeovil with his first professional goal following a set piece midway through the second half.

The first half was a subdued affair, much like the atmosphere inside Huish Park with only 1,100 in attendance. This is following a boycott many fans of EFL clubs are undertaking following the revamp of the competition which has allowed Premier League and Championship clubs enter their academy side.

After a cagey first 10 minutes Argyle started to take control with some good passing, bringing the influential Graham Carey into the game. In the 16th minute, Pilgrims left-back Aaron Taylor-Sinclair charged down the left and reached the byline before pulling back for Taylor to score his first goal of the season after a long injury lay-off.

Embed from Getty Images

The rest of the first half was evenly contested, with Yeovil coming closest when Olomola struck a first time shot at Argyle’s debutant keeper Will Mannion after good work from Francois Zoko.

The Glovers were much improved in the second half with Darren Way bringing on Tom James and the impressive Otis Khan. It was the former that got Town going with a number of fine passes to create chances. Keston Davies and Zoko both had chances to equalise after Khan put both in good positions to score.

It was the two substitutions that got Yeovil back into the game as Khan whipped in a free-kick from the left and James rised highest to head home to level the tie in the 61st minute. The Glovers were unlucky not to get a penalty as twice Zoko got the better of the Argyle defence and looked to have been brought down illegally but the referee waved play on.

Yeovil eventually got the winner they deserved after brilliant play from Olomola on the left, the Southampton loanee crossed into the unmarked Surridge who scored with one of his first touches after coming on as substitute. The striker caressed a first time volley past a stranded Mannion to put Town into the 2nd Round of the Checkatrade Trophy where they will face AFC Wimbledon at Huish Park on Tuesday night.

Follow me

Andy Hunter

Student at University of Gloucestershire
I am a final-year Sports Journalism student at the University of Gloucestershire. I am 22 years old and am extremely passionate about football and the club I support, Plymouth Argyle. I have had experience working for the Bristol Post newspaper and Yeovil Town Football Club. I have had numerous articles published on these professional organisations' websites.
Follow me