Bradford through to FA Cup third round after victory over Plymouth – Match Report

Embed from Getty Images

Share this Post

Bradford City 3 (Vincelot 38, Knight-Percival 50, Wyke 64)

Plymouth 1 (Carey 63)

Saturday saw Valley Parade play host to a FA Cup second round tie between Bradford City and league one strugglers Plymouth Argyle. While it is fair to say that the FA Cup has so far largely failed to capture the imagination of the Bradford fans, City booked their place in the third round following a relatively comfortable 3-1 victory.

After a slow start to the game, the first real opportunity to break the deadlock came Bradford’s way. Alex Gilliead’s shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Plymouth keeper, Luke McCormick, which he followed up with a superb second save to prevent Charlie Wyke adding another goal to his tally for this season.

Plymouth were than presented with their own chance to grab the first goal, but the effort on goal from Jake Jervis was well saved by Bradford keeper, Rouven Sattelmaier, to keep the score level.

Bradford were not to be denied, however, and scored the opening goal before half time. Tony McMahon’s lofted delivery into the box was met superbly by the head of Bradford skipper, Romain Vincelot, who guided the ball into the top corner, which gave McCormick no chance to save.

Plymouth did have a good opportunity to equalise just before half time. Grant made a determined run into the box, but his pass across goal agonisingly missed the incoming Plymouth players.

Embed from Getty Images

Bradford added a second goal only five minutes into the second half. McMahon’s cross into the box from a corner found Vincelot in space. The midfielder’s effort on goal, however, somewhat fortunately deflected off the head of Nathaniel Knight-Percival and into the net, with both players seeing the funny side of the goal.

Despite the 2-0 lead, Plymouth were back in the game just after the hour mark. Jervis found Carey on the edge of the box with his effort on goal taking a fortunate deflection off McMahon and completely wrong footing Sattelmaier.

Plymouth’s comeback did not last long, however, with Bradford securing their third goal and the victory only a minute later. Gilliead’s ball into the box was spilled into the path of Wyke by McCormick leaving the striker with a tap in from a yard out to secure Bradford’s place in the third round.

Bradford did have a chance to add a fourth goal late on. Robinson’s pacey run down the left opened up space for an effort on goal, but his effort was well saved by McCormick in the Plymouth goal with the game finishing 3-1 to Bradford.


Bradford: Sattelmaier, McMahon, Knight-Percival, Kilgallon, Robinson, Gilliead, Vincelot, Reeves (Hendrie 65), Law, Taylor (Poleon 78), Wyke. Subs: Raeder, Thompson, Poleon, McCartan, Hendrie, Gibson, Patrick

Plymouth Argyle: McCormick, Sawyer (Ainsworth 78), Songo’o (Taylor 66), Edwards, Carey, Jervis, Bradley, Grant (Sarcevic 80), Taylor-Sinclair, Fox, Diagouraga. Subs: Childs, Miller, Sarcevic, Ainsworth, Ciftci, Threlkeld, Taylor