Bradford through to FA Cup second round after comfortable victory over Chesterfield – Match Report

Embed from Getty Images

Share this Post

Bradford City 2 (Gilliead 4, Jones 44)
Chesterfield 0

This weekend saw both leagues one and two joining the remaining non-league clubs in the FA Cup first round, with securing the all-important cup shock on the minds of teams and fans alike. There was to be no such shock at Valley Parade, however, where Bradford started their cup campaign with a home win against league two strugglers Chesterfield.

Bradford were almost off to the perfect start after some good work on the wing by Taylor. His ball in box fell to the feet of Gilliead who then laid the ball into the path of Wyke only for the striker’s effort to be well blocked by the Chesterfield defence.

It did not take long for Bradford to grab the first goal, however, which arrived only four minutes into the game after some excellent build up play by Jones. The Bradford striker’s penetrating run managed to open up enough space to feed the ball into the path of Gilliead who clinically finished the move off by slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

Chesterfield thought they had scored an unlikely equaliser later in the first half when Dennis converted McCourt’s low pass into the net, only for the goal to be quickly ruled out for offside by the official.

Bradford kept pushing forward and were duly awarded with a second goal just before half time. A good interception by Dieng played the ball into the path of Wyke who then released Jones through on goal with the striker chipping the ball over the Chesterfield keeper to claim the goal his performance deserved.

Embed from Getty Images

Chesterfield came out for the second half in a determined mood and had a good opportunity to grab a goal back early on. Kellet managed to beat Hendrie and play the ball across the box only for Rowley to smash the ball over the bar.

Bradford nearly grabbed their third goal after an instinctive effort by Wyke on the edge of the box, which had the Chesterfield keeper scrambling across his box to prevent the striker’s effort finding the back of the net.

Finding the third goal was proving difficult for Bradford after they squandered another excellent opportunity to close the game out. Taylor’s effort from outside of the box was parried by the keeper into the path of Jones only for the striker to blaze his effort way over the bar.

The third goal almost arrived late on, but Taylor’s free kick on the edge of the box was again well saved by the Chesterfield keeper. In fact, if it was not for the performance of the keeper, Bradford would have grabbed a few more goals.

The final whistle confirmed Bradford’s place in Monday’s second round draw and condemned Chesterfield to another defeat.

Bradford City: Doyle, Hendrie, Thompson, Kilgallon, Knight-Percival; Gilliead (Robinson 87), Vincelot (c), Dieng (Devine 78), Taylor; Jones (Law 71), Wyke. Subs: Raeder, Devine, Robinson, Law, Poleon, McCartan, Patrick.

Chesterfield: Anyon; Barry, Hird, Evatt (c), Wiseman; McCourt, Dimaio (Sinnott 78); Rowley (Mitchell 83), Reed (O’Grady 70), Kellett; Dennis. Subs: Jones, De Girolamo, Sinnot, Mitchell, Maguire, Weir, O’Grady.